Has it got to that time when your little one is growing up, demanding a big boys room, with a big boys bed annnnd with only big boy toys?! Well hopefully I can inspire you on how to make some simple changes to create a room which will grow with your little guy... As his interests change, so will his needs and if you've not done an interior update since the nursery decor, then it's likely the room could do with an upgrade.
On a budget? Keep it simple and versatile, use the toys to accessorise, this way, the entire room doesn't need to change as his interests and passions evolve. You'll notice with a lot of my rooms, the walls and bed linen are paired back and sophisticated, leaving the accessories and toys to add the charm and theme.
The most important aspect though is fun, giving them enough space to pull all their toys out and get stuck into some imaginative play... I've kept this blog image-led with less waffle, so that you can easily shop the products I use :)
It's time to get rid of anything too babyish - choose a colour which he might still like when he's in his teens. I find selecting a subtle shade of paint tends to last longer than something too vibrant. Strong, bright colours on a wall are a novelty for a short while, but then they become a bit too much on the eye - and kids will inevitably get bored of it. I'm also a firm believer that bedrooms should feel restful, not like a load of primary coloured paints exploded in it ;)
The paint I've used in the image below and above is "Green 02" by Lick - it's a beautiful soft sage green, with a hint of blue. If you're looking for a sophisticated and calming take on green, this is the one for you - it also goes especially well with the on-trend paired back Scandinavian inspired decor that's all over Instagram at present.
Links to products featured above:
Paint - Green 02, Lick | Cool Kids Art | Lion Art | Born To Be Wild Art | Elephant Head | Scallops on Wall | Play Tent | Dolls House | Garland | Mess Basket | Felt Plant | Rainbow Cushion | Lion Toy | Dinosaur Toy | Wooden Animals | Leopard Rug | Horse Cushion | Leaf Cushion | Monkey Toy | Quilt in Play Tent | Ikea Rug | White Wall Paint
Which Paints to Use?
I regularly use either Farrow & Ball or Lick Paints - mainly due to how easy they are to paint with. I rarely need more than two coats, they don't stink the house out and I just know what I'm getting with them. Lick do the most fab samples, you pay £1 per stick on sample and I have to say, the colour is bang-on every single time! I was dubious when I first got the samples, thinking, there's no way they can match a paint sample to a wall sticker, but they certainly can! They're also removable, so you don't have to paint over them.
I've not painted with the Wilko paints I've listed below, but I've heard good things from customers saying it's "great for the price". Dulux I've had mixed results with, but I know others that swear by it. Wilko is the brand to go for if you're on a budget, Dulux is middle of the range and Farrow & Ball / Lick are your £38-£49 per 2.5 ltr tin brands.
If the sage green above isn't your bag, then here are some other suggestions of paint colours for boys bedroom:
LICK PAINT COLOURS: 1. Geen 02 | 2. Green 03 | 3. Green 05 | 4. Green 06 | 5. Blue 06 | 6. Blue 07 | 7. Teal 01 | 8. Teal 03 | 9. Orange 02 | 10. Yellow 02 | 11. Red
FARROW & BALL PAINT COLOURS: 1. Ultra Marine Blue | 2. Sap Green | 3. Treron | 4. Card Room Green | 5. Green Smoke | 6. Studio Green | 7. Bancha | 8. Oval Room Blue | 9. De Nimes | 10. Inchyra Blue | 11. Babouche | 12. Sudbury Yellow | 13. India Yellow
DULUX PAINT COLOURS: 1. Breton Blue | 2. Vast Lake | 3. Stonewashed Blue | 4. Bluebird Skies | 5. Quintessential Blue | 6. Neptune Seas | 7. Blue Reflection | 8. Teal Facade | 9. Forest Shade | 10. Olive Grove
WILKO PAINT COLOURS: 1. Neptune | 2. Duck Egg | 3. Retro Yellow | 4. English Sage |
PAINT COLOURS USED IN ROOMS ABOVE: "Light Blue" by Farrow & Ball used in the Space themed room | "Green 06" by Lick Paints used in the second bedroom
FURNITURE & ACCESSORIES
Ok, so this is the most fun bit - and no doubt your favourite part of decorating a kids bedroom... BUYING ALL THE FURNITURE AND ACCESSORIES!! Yesssss!!
It's going to be very hard to narrow this down, as the possibilities of how to adorn walls, dress peg shelves and plump up cosy looking beds is endless. We're incredibly lucky to have such great access to some truly wonderful, design-led children's brands.
Obviously, first on my list will be my art (that goes without saying!). If you have lots of blank wall space, an easy way to fill this is to create a gallery wall full of art. Now, this doesn't mean just buy several pieces of large art and stick them side by side, be brave and get creative with it, buy several different sizes, some framed, some not and interweave them with shelving, rope rainbows, embroidered hoops and bunting. Below, you'll find some of my favourite art, accessories and furniture for boys bedrooms and ideas on how to style them.
First up, it's the Space themed room; the rocket cushion is my absolute favourite accessory.
1. Blue/Green Bunting, Scandiborn | 2. YAY Wall Plaque, Roscoe Rules | 3. Wooden Stars, Ohh My Light | 4. To The Moon Print, Pretty in Print Art | 5. Rocket Print, Pretty in Print Art | 6. Wooden Rainbow Night Light, Ohh My Light | 7. Light Blue Paint, Farrow & Ball | 8. Wooden Rocket Night Light, Ohh My Light | 9. DIY Radiator Cover, Pretty in Print Art | 10. Rocket Cushion, Pop n Punch |11. Striped Container, Oyoy Living Design | 12. Rattan Kids Bench, Oyoy Living Design | 13. Navy Star Bed Linen, Pop n Punch | 14. Sunshine Cushion, Scandiborn | 15. Ochre Blanket, Scandiborn | 16. Rattan Kids Bed, La Redoute | 17. Lahols Rug, IKEA | 18. Car Tracks and Cars, Scandiborn
If mustards, ochres or sage greens are your go-to paint colours, then the room below will surely appeal.
1. Mustard/Ochre Canopy, Scandiborn | 2. Pom Pom Garland, ePom | 3. Hey Kiddo Art, Pretty in Print Art | 4. Orangutan Art, Pretty in Print Art | 5. Sleepyhead Sign, Hey Kiddo | 6. Lion Toy, Efi Little Things | 7. Clay Lion Head & Rainbow, Hello Rustle | 8. Wooden Peg Shelf, Autumns Corner | 9. Giraffes Head, Yoyo & Flo | 10. Faux Plant, Kidly | 11. Toy Camera, Scandiborn | 12. Green 02 Paint, Lick | 13. Sunshine Cushion, Scandiborn | 14. Rainbow Cushion, Smallable | 15. Velvet Letter Cushion, Tommy & Rex, | 16. Brown Pom Cushion, Scandiborn | 17. Large Crocodile Toy, Scandiborn | 18. Liberty Fabric, Check Fitted Sheet, Poppy & Honesty |19. Crochet Frog, Stars & Raindrops | 20. Lion Cushion, Scandiborn | 21. Ochre Blanket / Cream Blanket, both Camomile London
If your little guy is beach or ocean obsessed, try out the seaside theme below. Stuffed full of giant sea creature plush toys - or try your hand at my DIY felt seaweed.
1. Rattan Mirror, La Redoute | 2. Wooden Wall Dot, Autumns Corner | 3. Woven Light, Bertie and the Boys | 4. Whale Art, Pretty in Print Art | 5. Wooden Bookshelf Autumns Corner | 6. Bunting, H&M Home | 7. Crab & Starfish, Mabu Home | 8. DIY Felt Seaweed | 9. Toy Camera | 10. "Light Blue" Paint, Farrow & Ball | 11. Striped Cushion, IKEA | 12. Woven Hanging Bag, Rug on a Wall | 13. Lobster Plush Toy, Mabu Home | 14. IKEA Hack Cupboard with FREE Printable | 15. Large Whale Stuffed Toy, Mabu Home | 16. Giant Octopus Stuffed Toy, Big Stuffed | 17. Rattan Kids Bed, La Redoute | 18. Lohals Rug, IKEA | 19. Rattan Bench, Oyoy Living Design
The bedroom below is all about restful sage green and natural woods. The Lion head is definitely the star of the show.
1. Rope Rainbow, Peach & Apricot | 2. Koala Head, Jenni Wren | 3. Lion Toy, Efi Little Things | 4. Born to be Wild Print, Pretty in Print Art | 6. Wooden Shelf, Autumns Corner | 7. Lions Head, Jenni Wren | 8. "Wevet" Paint Farrow & Ball | 9. Wool Hoop Hanging, Wool You Just | 10. Snake Toy, Smallable | 11. Green 02 Paint, Lick | 12. DIY Scalloped Radiator Cover | 13. Sunshine Cushion, Scandiborn | 14. Brown Pom Cushion, Scandiborn | 15. Monkey Toy, Oyoy Living Design | 16. Rattan Bench, Oyoy Living Design | 17. Snake Toy, Fem Living Design | 18. Light Blue Quilted Blanket, Camomile London | 19. Check Teal Bed Linen, Camomile London | 20. Ochre Blanket, Camomile London | 21. Rattan Bed, La Redoute
You don't have to have a set theme for a bedroom, it can just be a lovely gathering of his favourite things.
1. You Are My Sunshine Print, Pretty in Print Art | 2. Fox Print | 3. Rainbow Print | 4. Lion Toy, Efi Little Things | 5. Wooden Shelf, Autumns Corner | 6. House Cushion, Camomile London | 7. Bunting, Scandiborn | 8. Wevet Paint, Farrow & Ball | 9. Sleepyhead Sign, Hey Kiddo | 10. Camera Toy, Scandiborn | 11. Green 02 Paint, Lick | 12. DIY Radiator Cover | 13. Dinosaur Toy, Scandiborn | 14. Lion Cushion, Scandiborn | 15. Check Cushion, Poppy & Honesty | 16. Teal Check Bed Linen, Camomile London | 17. Light Blue Quilted Blanket, Camomile London | 18. Ochre Blanket, Camomile London | 19. Rattan Bed, La Redoute | 20. Cactus Cushion, The Modern Nursery | 21. Bear Toy, Smallable | 22. Lohals Rug, IKEA | 23. Toy Wheelbarrow, Scandiborn | 24. Car Tracks, Scandiborn
I think the below is my favourite big boys room - I adore the shades of blue, teals and mustard.
1. Oh Happy Day Print | 2. Lion Print | 3. Hey Kiddo Print | 4. Wooden Shelf, Autumns Corner | 5. Rainbow Embroidered Hoop, Leo & Wilf | 6. Superhero Mouse Toy, Scandiborn | 7. Blue Bunting, Scandiborn | 8. Wevet Paint, Farrow & Ball | 9. Weather Station Toy, Moon Picnic | 10. Green 02 Paint, Lick | 11. DIY Radiator Cover | 12. Toy Garage, Scandiborn | 13. Snake Toy, Scandiborn | 14. House Cushions, Camomile London | 15. Check Cushion, Poppy & Honesty | 16. Check Bed Linen, Camomile London | 17 / 18 Blankets, both Camomile London | 19. Rattan Bed, La Redoute | 20. DIY IKEA Cabinet (Green 06 Paint by Lick in top) | 21. Lohals Rug, IKEA | 22. Fire Engine Toy, Scandiborn | 23. Wooden Toy Train Set, Scandiborn
Make going to be an adventure and turn their bed into an exciting jungle themed camp.
1. Wevet Paint, Farrow & Ball | 2. Faux Plant, Kidly | 3. Born Wild Print | 4. Giraffe Toy, Scandiborn | 5. Wooden Shelf, Autumns Corner | 6. Toucans Art | 7. Play Tent, Scandiborn | 8. Green 06 Paint, Lick | 9. Ochre Canopy, Scandiborn | 10. Toy Monkey, Oyoy Living | 11. Lion Cushion, Scandiborn | 12. Snake Toy, Smallable | 13. Ochre / Cream Blanket Blankets, Camomile London | 14. Striped Blanket, IKEA | 15. Rattan Bed, La Redoute (this is the SMALL size) | 16. Toy Crocodile, Scandiborn | 17. Lohals Rug, IKEA | 18. Wobble Board, Scandiborn | 19. Checked Pouffe, Scandiborn
Give them a cool place to hang out, with an inspiring playroom - keep the space flexible so that their imaginations can run wild.
1. Cool Kids Live Here Print | 2. Striped Lion Print | 3. Born to be Wild Print | 4. Elephants head, Yoyo & Flo | 5. Faux Banana Tree, Blooming Artificial | 6. Green 02 Paint, Lick | 7. Play Tent, Scandiborn | 8. Scalloped Felt Garland, Velveteen Babies | 9. Faux Plant, Kidly | 10. Dolls House, Ferm Living Kids | 11. Dino Toy, Scandiborn | 12. Mess Basket, Kidly | 13. Wooden Safari Animals, Ferm Living Kids | 14. Horse Cushion, Scandiborn | 15. Leaf Cushion, Lorena Canals | 16. Light Blue Quilted Blanket, Camomile London | 17. Leopard Rug, Scandiborn | 19. Lohals Rug, IKEA
So I hope that helps you a little on deciding what to buy for your sons room and how to style it all - if you have any further questions, please do ask away! You can use the messenger button in the bottom right of the website, the contact form, or get in touch on Instagram - I'm at @prettyinprintart
Thanks so much!